Monday, October 3, 2022

The Blind Leading the Blinds

 


I was going to bed last night, and when I looked down at my leg, there on my inner thigh was a giant bruise. A big splotch of various purple hues up and down my inner thigh. I have no idea how I got that other than as a gift from the DNA I inherited from my mom. She also used to bruise at just the thought of brushing past a hard object. My only clue to the big bruise were the new blinds I put up on the front windows of our home. I could have injured myself there. 

For six years I have left the raggedy shades on those windows that the previous owners had put up. Probably thirty years ago. Every time I priced new shades a shiver went down my spine. That's an awful lot of money to spend on window shades, I would tell myself. So I never pulled the trigger on ordering them. Not until most of them had tangled cords, bent folds, and were pretty much just twisted junk. For two days I labored, taking down the old and putting up the new blinds that replaced them. Once again, the product came from China. I don't purposely order products from China, it's just the way it is. As a way to screw with us imperialistic Americans, the Chinese like to include cryptic instructions printed in the tiniest font available. Thank goodness for YouTube, the how to do it for old folks. Almost everything I do these days includes a review of how to do it on YouTube. Seriously, I don't know how we lived before the age of videos. Oh, wait. Now I remember. Clear instructions in a large enough font, written by somebody with a firm grip on the English language, and usually the product was made within five hundred miles of my house.



No comments:

Post a Comment