Monday, July 10, 2023

Cricket Has Left the Building

 

Cricket

When Chandler passed away over a year ago, it seemed that Scout missed him. Maybe I was just projecting my feelings of sadness. I don't know because Scout doesn't speak English and can't tell me how she feels. To address this feeling I contacted the rescue that gave me Scout. I let the lady who runs the show around here know that I would be open to adopting another dog. Maybe a dog around Scout's age that she could bond with. Shell, the lady in charge, told me she would keep an eye out for the appropriate pup. I heard nothing for months and then I saw a post on the Cairn Terrier Rescue, Facebook page. Shell was looking for somebody to transport a dog from downtown Chicago, to St. Charles, Illinois. I volunteered. That was Bucky, the three legged dog that I had here for two months. Yes, after Bucky got his leg amputated at the vet in St. Charles, I volunteered to foster him. Sadly, the cancer that required the amputation finally took Bucky. A few weeks later I again volunteered to foster a dog. This was Cricket. One of the sweetest, most affectionate dogs I have ever come across. And she is smart. Within one week I had taught Cricket to 'come' and 'sit'. She also learned from Scout that when I say wait at a crosswalk, it is time to stop walking. The biggest problem with Cricket is that she needs your one hundred percent attention. She wants to be with you, on you, and to sleep with you. It's all about Cricket. This, unfortunately, seemed to bother Scout. She wasn't getting her share of my attention, and as much as I tried to make sure that happened, Cricket hogged the show. Again, I may have been projecting my feelings onto Scout.

On Sunday I took Cricket to her forever home out in Coal City, Illinois. I knew from the start that she was already adopted and that after two weeks she would be leaving. Still, it was difficult. I have taken in strays before and found homes for them, but these last two, Bucky and Cricket, really got to me. Watching Cricket sitting at the front door of her new home, staring out at me as I drove away was not easy. It was for the best. Best for her and best for the elderly couple who adopted her. It was also good for Scout. She now gets to sit on my lap again.

Scout the lap dog




3 comments: