Thursday, June 19, 2008

Shopping With Big Al

Mark and I went to the supermarket today, and I was amazed at how fast the price of things are going up. I am actually starting to appreciate Mark's coupon clipping and sale searches. We went to the CVS store the other day and they almost owed Mark money by the time he was done with his coupons. Thirty dollars worth of stuff for a little over five dollars, even the store manager was impressed.

When I was a kid, I don't ever remember my mom doing the grocery shopping. That was my dad's job and I think it was like a game to him. It would start with the shopping list my mom would make up over the course of the week. Then early Saturday morning, my dad would go over it, comparing what my mom needed, to what was on sale at the supermarkets. Next, he would list everything by which store had the cheapest price for that item, with sub-categories for those items he had coupons for, with sub-sub-categories for those items with coupons that were also on sale, below the cheapest price possible.

When all was in order, he would get into the gigantic, empty, Ford Station Wagon, with all the seats folded down and head out. Never were children allowed on my dad's grocery shopping safari's. We not only would get in the way of his well oiled shopping machine, but we would take up precious space needed for the quarter ton of food that our large family would consume over the course of the next seven days.

Like the great white hunter, off he went to Jewel, National, Motto's, Dominick's, and some other markets that I didn't even know existed. After what could only be called speed shopping, my dad would return a couple of hours later with the station wagon full, and groaning, under the weight of a weeks worth of food. Then with a loud bellow, he would call for all his offspring to help unload the Ford. Like a line of worker ants, I and my siblings would grab bag after bag of groceries from the car and trudge up the steps to the kitchen.

It is quite the opposite of when I shop on my own. I just grab whatever looks good to me. I am a sucker for a shiny package, and I am totally susceptible to an elderly woman cooking stuff, and giving it away at the end of the aisles. That's why it's a good thing I have Mark and his coupons to shop for me, he is never distracted from his mission, more for less.

13 comments:

  1. On top of all that shopping he started doing Grandma Webb's shopping too! One of his offspring would have to go and do hers while he did his own. The worst part was when Grandma compared the prices on each item with the receipt-like we were going to rip her off or something. The car was full from front to back, top to bottom. Thanks for the memory Alan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures. It looks like the actual Jewel and station wagon. It is great the way you have written the story.I remember the day dad got the job of shopper. He complained that mom spent too much on groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, don't look at checking the receipt in such a negative way, cashiers were know to make mistakes.It wasn't like today's scanners. Even scanners can have the wrong pricing in the main computer.It is prudent to check your receipt.Remember,your grandmother lived through the depression, a time when every penny counted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh crap! Now anonymous is arguing itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous 2 doesn't realize that Gramma wasn't checking to see if the checkers made a mistake, she was comparing the bottom line $$$ to the change she got back from Dad. Yeah every penny counted but Gramma didn't trust those who looked after her the most. It is okay to notice the flaws in people we love, that's what makes them human. By the way, Alan, I'm waiting for the younger sibs to chime in about how they ended up going along eventually to push Gramma's cart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok.. well a little different than I experienced. Just a little. I was one of two offspring offered up to do gramma's shopping. Mary Beth and I would have our own cart and as soon as we walked in the store armed with gramma's list we were on our own. When we were done we would search out big Al. He was usually almost done which amazed me because our list was 1/4 the size of his. Anyway I have to say that this was one of many things MB and I did with dad for gramma. Also, Peggy is right... gramma was absolutely checking the change! Dad was stellar about it... I'm sure he knew but never made a comment. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just telling someone about the shopping that Dad used to do.
    I think he would be thrilled with all the different choices he would have today! I really loved the unloading part - and then there was never anything good to eat! Remember circus peanuts used to be considered a treat? ICK
    But we sure knew where mom used to hide her Hersey bars!!! Thanks Alan, I needed a good laugh today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, are you talking about those orange banana flavored peanut shaped candies? BARF! When I see those things in the supermarket I get sick. Now orange slices, those were the best. A gelatinous, orange colored sugar candy, coated with more sugar. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Up in Michigan we have something called the "BOUNTY LAW" Which I love. It works like this:

    If a store item is physically priced different than the price it rings up, the consumer gets 10 times the price difference up to $5.00 back for each item rung up wrong.

    So if an item is priced $1. and rings up at $1.50 you would get back $5. and get the item too.

    This was set up to make the grocery chains accountable for their errors.

    If you notice the error, keep your mouth shut as then you have to take your receipt to customer service to colect your reward, otherwise the cashier will negate the error and you won't collect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No wonder Michigan's econony is down the tubes. Who the heck makes up such picky laws?

    ReplyDelete
  11. C'mon Gomer, let's not pyle on. I personally would tell the cashier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hardest thing for Dad when he was sick, was giving up that all-day shopping trip. He would try to direct it from his chair or be a "ride-along" when MB took him. He hated the fact that no one would drive around to 4 or 5 stores to save a quarter on an item!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Bounty law was made up to make the Stores accountable. How many times have you been overcharged on grocery items and not realized it until you get home.

    ReplyDelete