Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Grrrrreat !!

I was never a picky eater. I would eat just about anything my mom put on the table, unless it was her infamous dish called 'Shipwreck', an unpalatable collection of ground beef, tomato soup, canned peas, and half cooked, sliced potatoes in a casserole configuration. I still shudder when I think of it. that's why Mark loves to cook for me. I will eat almost anything he puts out, even if I don't particularly love it. He knows that he will get an honest opinion of his cooking from me. One thing that amazes Mark is that I will eat last nights leftover dinner for breakfast. He believes in the traditional breakfast foods, cereal, eggs, pancakes, etcetera. To me, food is food.

As a kid, I usually ate cereal for breakfast. This was in the days when pre-sweetened cereals were rare in our house because my dad believed he was saving money by not buying it. To sweeten the cereal I would take my Cheerios, and heap sugar on them until I had replicated the snow covered Alps right there in the bowl. As the sugar slowly dissolved into the milk, it would sink to the bottom, and after powering through the Cheerios, I would have a delicious half inch layer of partially dissolved sugar left that I would then suck down. After that nutritious breakfast I would run off to school, all hopped up on sugar, only to crash two hours later and fall asleep at my desk.

Another favorite cereal of mine was Quaker Puffed Rice, which was basically made up of air surrounded by a thin skin. I liked it because it would float on top of the milk, and I would pile even more sugar on to weigh it down, leaving even more of the sweet stuff on the bottom of the bowl. If my dad had only known how much sugar I piled on that cereal, I am sure he would have stocked up on the Sugar Smacks, and Frosted Flakes more often, but I probably would have put sugar on those too.

9 comments:

  1. Once again I have used a photo of some unknown kid to illustrate my story. The color photo of the boy in the kitchen is not me. The one at the top is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe during your youth, Tony the Tiger's cereal was called Sugar Frosted Flakes. Only during the age of worry about everything has it been called Frosted Flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the word "shipwreck" makes me sick! YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What??? No fond memories of those beef liver dinners??? Liver (organ meat-yuck!) must have been really cheap for Dad to have heaped it upon us. I think that's when I started my love of mashed potatoes- it was the only way to cover the liver bits and try to swallow them. We could haver used a dog under the table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why, that is my favorite dish at the Jewish deli, liver, onions, and mashed potatoes.Chicken hearts are also tasty, they just pop in you mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually loved the beef liver, and onions. Yes, I also love chicken livers, with bacon and onions. The best place for that is Nookies in Chicago. I don't know if they still make it, but if not try Manny's off Roosevelt road. I also liked the chicken hearts and the way they popped in your mouth. Yummmmm guts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How 'bout beef tongue? I'll never forget the first time I saw one sticking out of the pot of water mom was boiling on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Russell, you've eaten a lot of tongue since you were a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, uh... you got me there! What can I say? I'm good at it!

    ReplyDelete