Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Money Hole

Big plans are afoot around here. I am going to remodel our bedroom bathroom all by myself. I have the paint, and a new sink all ready to go. The only problem is that the money I budgeted for the new shower enclosure is gone. As is the norm, just when you think everything is going along just as you planned it, crap happens. In this case it was the clothes dryer that the tenants use that stopped working. Unfortunately, because I promised the renters that they would have a working laundry, I had to actually do something about it.

My first idea was to fix the thing myself. I figured it would be easy to fix a dryer, and I was right. Within a few minutes I had the back of it off, and identified the non-working component which I then removed and took to the appliance parts store. It seemed so easy. I handed the part to the man behind the counter, and he dutifully looked it up on his computer. After a few clicks on the keyboard, the man looked up and told me, "Five to ten days, I have to order it. Oh, and it costs $100.". A hundred dollars, for what? It's a cheesy piece of crap that was made in China for pennies by ten year old children. I walked out of there and went over to the Home Depot. For just a hundred and thirty dollars more, I was able to purchase an entirely new dryer.

No problem. I figured I still had enough money to buy the shower enclosure for the bathroom. Almost as soon as I had the new dryer in place, a loud, horrible, shrieking sound filled the back yard. No it wasn't Mark. The bearings in the swimming pool pump were going bad. Another three hundred and fifty dollars to fix the pool pump. All this has put my bathroom remodel on hold until I can refresh my saving account. It isn't all bad though, Fat Kitty has found that the box that the new sink is in makes a wonderful place to snooze safely out of Chandlers reach.

3 comments:

  1. I never saw you as a slum lord or a Mr. Fixit before, Alan. Aren't you supposed tot ahve a cabana boy for those kind of things? p.s. I like fat kitty's perch very much...please keep it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before retirement, for twenty five years, I was a computer repair man. Certainly I can fix a dryer. As for being a slum lord, my tenants are happy for the most part. They have clean decent apartments at reasonable rents which I don't raise every year. They also have all the raccoon they can eat, if they can catch the little bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you are keeping busy in your old age. OOPS, I mean in your retirement.

    ReplyDelete