Monday, August 10, 2009

Coconut, and Vanilla, But I Can't Quite Put My Finger On That Other Scent?

I know I shouldn't compare my dog Chandler with his predecessor, Molly, but they are as different as night and day, and I never know what to expect next. One comparison is their bathroom habits. Molly would not only go poopies on command, but she would do it quickly, and in a nice neat pile. This made it much easier to sneak a load on a neighbor's lawn without having to pick it up. Chandler, on the other hand, finds the most manicured lawn, and takes his time circling the spot he intends to foul. When he has made enough passes, he finally starts pooping, but he doesn't stop walking in circles. This leaves me with a dotted line of dog crap, in a large arc, that I have to clean up.

This morning Chandler threw a new wrinkle into the process. I don't know if it is the coconut/vanilla shampoo I used on him, or if he is just nuts, but after doing his little poopy dance and dotted line of crap, Chandler nose dived into the grass and started rolling around in his own waste. In a panic, I started screaming, and tried to drag him out of it, but it was too late.

Chandlers usual routine after his morning walk, is to run into the bedroom, jump on the bed, and wake up Mark. I know what you are thinking, but No, I am not that cruel. After scurrying home, I gave Chandler a quick wash, and then I let him back into the house. He did his usual morning greeting to Mark, and Mark did ask why Chandler was so wet as he gave him a big hug. “Morning dew,“ I explained.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Alan.....dogs can be so frustrating! His next trick will be to eat it probably. Check the label on his food, make sure there is no CORN in it. Corn is not digested and so they think it should be good for another go-around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, is there corn in cat food. He seems to like cat poop a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are some interesting theories:

    http://www.school-for-champions.com/behavior/dogs_roll.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except from that website by Ron Kurtus (2008:

    "Sometimes dogs will roll in the grass or in something smelly right after getting a bath. Some dog shampoos have perfumes that may be pleasant to humans but smell awful to the animal. It is just an effort to mask the unpleasant and un-dog-like odor."

    ReplyDelete