Monday, August 3, 2009

Malted

I love chocolate malts. Not shakes, not that oozing plastic crap from McDonalds, but malts, and not just any chocolate malt but one made with vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, and powdered malt. I used to be able to get decent chocolate malts at Baskin-Robbins. It was always a perfect treat at a reasonable price, around three dollars. unfortunately over the last few years, Baskin-Robbins has been closing their free standing stores, and combining with Dunkin’ Donuts. The problem with that is if you go to Dunkin’ Donuts, and ask for a chocolate malt they look at you as if you had two carrots sticking out of your ears and had asked for their first born child on a stick. Dunkin’ Donuts doesn’t do malts. It’s just too much trouble for their skill challenged help to actually combine more than two ingredients.

Last week Mark and I were in the area of the last free standing Baskin’s here in Fort Lauderdale, and of course I insisted we stop for a malt. To my horror, when we pulled up we were greeted by a cheesy hand made sign that read, ‘Ice Cream Club’. No more Baskin Robbins, no more malts, just some ersatz ice cream store selling a product of questionable quality. I was devastated that I couldn’t get my malt, and with a shake of my fist and a few curses we drove off. Will I ever be able to enjoy a decent chocolate malt again? There is one possibility, I could make my own. I do have a blender, and I can get the ingredients..... but the more I think about it I realize that I really don’t want to be on the evening news, being pulled out of the house, through a window, on a forklift.

6 comments:

  1. Would you believe that I've never had a malt? Since I don't like milkshakes or floats, I doubt I'd like it anyway.

    That dude on the bed is so gross. Did you hear about the concrete reinforced sex triangle that his friends made for him & his new wife? Or something like that. It was pretty disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate malts, too. I used to make them, too, when I worked at Friendly's in Virginia years and years ago. They were fab-u-lous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buffalos Ice Cream Parlor in Chicago made the best malts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about Steak 'n Shake? Do they do malts??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gerties on 59th and Kedzie had the best. Also Dove Candies on Pulaski had great malts and they made the original Dove Bars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reinforced sex triangle? I'll bet food is involved in that also.

    ReplyDelete