Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pizza, Pizza

You must understand, when it comes to cooking and presenting food, Mark is a perfectionist. He not only delivers a meal equal to or better than four star restaurants, he makes it look fabulous. I, on the other hand, am like a hog at the trough. I will eat something right out of the refrigerator, still in its Tupperware container. If it tastes good enough, I won't even heat it up, I'll just stand there over the kitchen sink scarfing it down. before I met Mark many a dinner was eaten that way.

It started as a faint "help!" coming from the kitchen, and quickly escalated to a screaming, cursing, tirade. Before I could make it around the corner, and into the kitchen to see what the hell was up, the banging of the pots and pans started. Mark had a full scale cooking disaster happening. Tonight's dinner was to be homemade pizza pie, and all afternoon I could see, hear, and smell the preparations. Pizza dough on the counter rising into a yeasty ball, followed by the chop, chop, chop of onions, peppers, and sausage. Now, instead of seeing a lovely pizza pie on the counter, there was a misshapen mass of dough, sauce, and toppings, like a three dimensional Salvador Dali painting. Standing in front of it all, was Mark, red faced, and screaming. He was literally vibrating with rage. Mark's pizza had stuck to the large wooden paddle he uses to slide the thing into the oven, and it had folded over onto itself and then continued to slide off over the edge. It was ugly.

It was obvious that if I had been one second slower getting into the kitchen, the whole thing would have been heaved out the back door. It took a few minutes, but I did finally calm Mark down, and between the two of us, we coaxed the disfigured mess onto a pan, and into the oven. Ten minutes later Mark pulled out a bubbling, cheesy, blob and slammed it onto the counter. "It's a piece of shit! It's ruined!" Once again I calmed him down, and after cutting the thing up and plating it, we sat down to eat. It was delicious. Did it look pretty? No, it did not. Did I give a shit what it looked like? Hell no. I've eaten my own leftover cooking out of a Tupperware container over the sink, and Mark's worst is a hundred times better than that.
I could not get a photo of the pizza before it was cooked, and I had to sneak the one I took of the finished product. Obviously, Mark was a little sensitive about it.

9 comments:

  1. Tell Mark that even messed up his pizza looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Italy...sort of.Where was Chandler during all the fuss?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chandler knows when to hide. He was rooting for the heaving it out the back door option though, that's where his dog run is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job, if you saved dinner. But, I feel for Mark. That's a lot of hard work. Shit like that can really piss you off. My dogs have eaten many a cake, straight out of the pan. Yes, in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and the cold left-over pizza eaten over the sink in the morning is a delicacy in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking that your eating habits stem from making sure you got your share of a meal in a large family!! As I recall, the only leftovers we ever had were the canned vegetables...that ended up in the ubiquitous dish called "shipwreck"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's Michigan!! Just tell him you're doing State Pizzas.

    Good Luck with Rhode Island.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking Hawaii will be the really tricky one.

    ReplyDelete