Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Alex, I'll Take Bad Reception For $200

It was twenty minutes to eight yesterday evening. Mark, and I were doing our nightly Jeopardy duel where we try to be the first to shout out the answers. Suddenly, in the lower right hand corner of the television screen I see a quick flash, 'Searching for signal'.
"Crap, the television is about to go out again."
"Casablanca!" Mark shouts out the answer.
"It's gonna go out, it's about to rain Mark."
"E.T.!" He shouts out another answer.
Finally the 'Searching for signal' message comes on solid, and the screen freezes. Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and the other contestants suddenly look like a bad Van Gogh painting.

I have finally had it with Directv, and the problems of trying to watch satellite television in a place that has regular tropical downpours. When it is working Directv is just fine, but let a couple of pigeons drop a few turds between the satellite and the dish, and you lose your picture. The only reason I have Directv is because of the NFL Ticket. It is the only way I can watch my Chicago Bears break my heart every year. Without it I am cursed with having to watch the Miami Dolphins. I really hate to have to go through all the hassle, but I am going to have to go with Comcast. I would go with an antenna except for the fact that Mark would throw a hissy fit if he couldn’t get his Bravo channel.

11 comments:

  1. Fellow DirecTV userMay 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

    Boy do I understand your frustration! We have DirecTV too and even when a small cloud passes by, the reception goes out. Every time it happens I call and they give me a discount for 6 months. I have been considering going to another company but I think they all suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God I wish I was smart enough to pirate cable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hostess, it has become too complicated now with HD and On Demand shows. I once had this whole building wired for cable, and paid for one tv connection. My tenants and I all had cable in every room. A cable employee came out here and cut all the ends off my elaborate cabling system one day while I wasn't looking. I can admit to stealing cable now because the statute of limitations is passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comcast is a pain to but don't have much choice! They just raised our rates again so it's negotiation time. It drivers me crazy because they do all the massive advertising to get new customers at discounted rates and ours just keeps going up after being with them for years and years. They are all a bunch of crooks. By the way , I don't need 100 stations of music, that's what radios are for and Ipods. and I don't need spanish stations because I don't speak spanish. you would think they could take those out and drop their prices! Whew! thanks for letting me vent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa boy. This post strikes a nerve. We are fed up with our cable provider but we also had exactly the same experience with satellite that you've had. Both suck and they have a monopoly and so they've got us by the short and curlies. We keep threatening to just go with Apple TV and forget about cable and satellite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work for Comcast. Feel free to contact our team if you decide to obtain services from Comcast.

    @Sue - Please feel free to contact me as well. We can check for current promotions that you may be eligible for.

    @Kim - you may also contact me if you need assistance from us.

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised that the spam filter didn't pick that last comment out. I expect a damn good deal from you Mark Casem. I've given you some free advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Crapcast is the pits. They keep raising the rates but they have enough money to buy the whole NBC network!
    I hate it but, like you, I'm stuck because of a channel or two.

    If you switch, be ready for A LOT of comcast commercials. They put them over the network spots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comcast service is just as bad. I have eight boxes and every month they knock it back to "basic" cable and then I have to spend hours on the phone to straighten it out. (I don't know about Florida, but they require converter boxes on every television even if it is digital).

    And don't bother with the package. Their internet is slower that dial-up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't watch television. It is all about mind control. I'm a free thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard bad things about Xfinity from ATT also.

    ReplyDelete