Monday, May 7, 2012

I've Fawlin' and I Can't Get Up!

Hilarious, an old lady falls down and we all laughed. It was an old commercial from twenty years ago, where an old lady fell down and calls out in her best New Jersey accent,
"I've fawlin' and I can't get up!"
For some reason everybody thought that was so funny. I know I laughed at it when I saw it. But what were we really laughing at? Certainly not the old lady falling down, that would be too cruel. No, it was that accent, that New Jersey, New York accent. The very same accent that Mark has, yet I don't find him nearly as funny as the old lady.

It was early in the morning, and the dim, gray light of dawn was just breaking. In my half awake state I made my way to the bathroom to pee. I finished in the bathroom and as I walked out, I stepped on one of the many pairs of shoes that Mark leaves strewn around the bedroom area. My foot turned, and I lurched forward. On the way down my elbow smashed into the shelves Mark has clogging the little hallway to the bathroom. When I hit the floor my skull bounced with the thud of a ripe melon. As the pain coursed through my body I let out a scream followed by a five minute tirade liberally peppered with the word fuck. It was when Mark finally stirred and called out to me, that I realized I couldn't get up. I had fallen and I couldn't get up, not because I was hurt, but because I am now that old, and that out of shape that I couldn't pick myself up. As I lay there cursing, and moaning, I could hear Mark roll over in bed and say, "So shut the fuck up awlready."

3 comments:

  1. All part of the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - well. Perhaps anonymous above is right. You should sleep with one eye open. And for heaven's sake, take your cane to the bathroom with you!

    ReplyDelete