Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Circle of Life

Mark's garden is doing great. The tomato plants are taller than Mark, and the pepper plants look like little trees. I water the garden every day, and I weed it. Yes, Mark's garden is doing very well indeed, just like 'his dog' Sasha. I do have to admit, he planted it. If it were up to me there would be perennials in that spot, or maybe I could plant cactus. They're very low maintenance.

The odd thing about Mark's garden is that we have only harvested one tomato, and one eggplant. From the looks of the garden we should have too many tomatoes, too many eggplants, but we have nothing. Yesterday morning I noticed that one of the tomato plants was withering. It had been broken at the stem, and wasn't getting nourishment. I looked a bit further and I could see damage to other plants. It was when I went out in the yard this morning with Chandler that I figured out what was happening. Two iguanas about eight inches long scrambled out of the garden and up the fence. Apparently the iguanas are making a comeback from the cold weather of two years ago. I have two kitty-cats living out in that yard, and I was hoping they could keep down the varmint population. Instead they are on the window sill every morning, looking in, waiting for me to feed them. So I am feeding two dogs, two cats, feeding the tomatoes and other garden dwellers plant food which in return are feeding the iguanas. And it all starts with Mark feeding me, so in a way I guess that does make it Mark's garden.

1 comment:

  1. Mark should be proud of the fruits of his labor.

    ReplyDelete