Friday, November 23, 2012

Don't Invite Crazy People to Thanksgiving


Sometimes you'll be sitting in a bar minding your own business, and suddenly you find yourself talking to another bar patron. When the smiling, black lady asked me to slide the note she had written on a bar napkin over to Mark, I found it amusing. Before I knew it she and Mark were deep in conversation, and within minutes I was part of it all. Yes, we yukked it up while the vodka flowed and everything seemed so funny to us, but eventually it was time to go. On the way home Mark quietly stated, "I invited her to Thanksgiving."

Yesterday afternoon, when she called for directions, I noticed that the name she had given us in the bar was different from the caller id on the phone. Just a little red flag, but none the less it made me nervous.
"That's close enough to walk. I can walk over there, can't I? My titties won't be all sweaty by the time I get there will they?"
Did I mention that she sounds exactly like Wanda Sykes, but not nearly as funny? Anyway, I thought the sweaty titties mention was humorous, so I figured everything would be all right. It wasn't. That girl talked non-stop for five hours. It wasn't intelligent conversation, or even funny stuff. It was all about her curing Mark of whatever ails him, and how alcohol is poison as she pounded down half a bottle of Maker's Mark Whiskey. Most of what she was saying made little sense, and her rapid fire delivery left the rest of the guests speechless. It was when I was in the kitchen that I realized we had reached critical mass. From the other room I heard, "Could you just shut the fuck up for awhile? My god woman, what is wrong with you? Alan, do you have a sock?"

It was two hours after the dinner party before I was able to get crazy lady to finally leave. I had to physically urge her out the door, down the sidewalk, and out to the street. Even then, as I was walking back up the sidewalk, I could hear her calling from down the street.
"I love you guys."
I locked the doors, and hoped she was way too drunk and wasted to remember where we live.


13 comments:

  1. The ONLY woman you invite and she's a CRAZY LADY?!!??!! Mark is her "project".....that God gave her? Good luck! You guys have just fallen down the rabbit hole! Sounds like a "schitzy" to me, I run across them every so often at work. You think there's something wrong with YOU because you are having a hard time following their "reasoning".....but it's not you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alan, Alan. I think I would rather have TG dinner with my fundie right wing relatives. At least they don't talk non-stop.

    This one will go down in the books. Don't take Mark out drinking close to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious. I hope so see a spin-off soon..."the world according to that woman Mark invited over for Thanksgiving dinner and talked for 5 hours straight" I'm interested in her philoshophies on life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now Patti is non-stop crazy commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See? We have our own family crazies! We don't need to bring in outsiders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see crazy lady having dinner with Alyssa and Alexis! Hope she didn't completely ruin your Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving Alan and Mark. Despite the crazy lady, the meal looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alicia and Alexis. Sorry - still coming down off my Thanksgiving dinner high!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yes!! You can write the A & A script from what she said all night. It's an easy one Alan!

    ReplyDelete