Friday, January 20, 2017

Mom



Mom is getting up there, ninety five years old now, and sometimes she forgets things. Anyway, I try to see her at least once every week. Usually on Wednesday or Thursday. This week my sister Mary Beth told me that Mom had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, and on Thursday I had to take Mark to the doctor. So those two days were out. On top of that, I have had a very bad pulled muscle in my back this week and the last thing I wanted to do was drive fifty miles out to Tinley Park. But being the considerate son I am, I called Mom yesterday to let her know that she would not be seeing me this week. After around ten rings, Mom answered the phone.
"Hello."
"Hi Mom, it's me, Alan."
"Yes, I know who it is."
"I hate to tell you this, but we won't be coming out to see you this week. Mark has a doctor's appointment today, and I know that you had a doctor's appointment yesterday."
"I did?"
"Well that's what Mary Beth told me, that you had a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon."
"I don't think so. I don't remember going to the doctor."
That does not mean that Mom did not go to the doctor. In her advanced age Mom has been having trouble with short term memory. She can give you a detailed description of what she did when she was fifteen years old and took a streetcar downtown, and what she bought downtown, and who she was with, but she cannot remember if she has eaten her lunch today or not.
"So you don't remember going to the doctor at all?"
"No, I don't think I did... Oh, Alan. You know I'm getting goofy in my old age."
"Well don't worry about it. We all get goofy sooner or later. I'm halfway there myself."
She laughed, and we talked a bit more. I then apologized for not visiting this week and we said goodbye. It's kind of sad to see her struggle with her memory like that, but I look on the bright side. Next week when I see her I'll remind her of how much fun we had when I visited this week.

1 comment: