Thursday, March 30, 2017

Oh My....



Mark and I were driving home when we passed one of the many motels near our house. I looked up at the sign and said, "If we ever need a place for visitors, maybe that motel would be okay."
Mark looked over at the place, then up at the sign.
"Hmmm... it does say that it is AAA approved. Whatever that means."
I thought about that for a second.
"Now that you mention it, that sign looks a little faded. Maybe it was AAA approved back in 1965 and they never took down the sign. It probably wouldn't be a good place to recommend to somebody we like."
"It looks buggy to me." Mark added.


Back in the 1950's about fourteen motels were constructed on Lincoln Avenue in Chicago. It was at the point where Lincoln Avenue, or US Route 41, enters the city. Route 41 was the main road coming in from the north, from Wisconsin, so it made sense to build those motels there. Unfortunately, the people who built them didn't understand that the Interstate Highway System was coming. So almost immediately they started to decline in quality. The motels that have survived have had to use some tricks to stay in business. And by tricks, I mean prostitutes. When you read the Yelp reviews it is terrifying. Bedbugs, whores, whore's customers, filth, and probably if you brought your own blacklight you would be able to see just how many people occupied your room since its last cleaning. We pass these motels almost every day. One of them has a window facing the street with curtains, filthy stained curtains, askew and partially open. They have been in that exact  position since we moved here last May. Personally, I wouldn't risk spending an hour in any of those rooms, in any of those motels. I value my health. All I can say is that you would have to be mighty tired, or horny to ever "sleep" in one of those places. As we drove on Mark suggested that maybe we should buy one of those motels. He thinks we could make some money off of it.
"We could rent out the rooms by the hour."
"Hour? Hell, half hour. That should be enough time for most men."
"We could name it 'The Come, Drop Inn'."
"You're disgusting."

2 comments:

  1. Denzel likes dat placeMarch 30, 2017 at 6:42 PM

    https://youtu.be/r_VnAR0GOJQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denzel, you remind me of somebody I used to know. Unfortunately he went insane and lives as a hermit now.

      Delete