Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Don't Fence Me In



Yesterday I put on my gardening gloves and went over to my neighbor's yard and started pulling weeds. No, I didn't get a job with a landscaping company. I didn't suddenly decide to be Mister Neighborly. What I did was make a bad mistake when I had my new fence installed. I told the fence company not to take down my neighbor's fence. I had no permission to take it down, and since the owners of that property do not live on the property, I never took the time to track them down and ask if I could. No big deal, I thought. Their chain-link fence would just stand there next to my wooden fence. Two problems with that. One problem, putting the water-proof stain on the wooden fence. Not so easy getting around all those crisscrossing chain links. Problem number two, weeds. When the fence was installed there were no weeds growing. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Now I have trees, vines, and various noxious weeds growing between the fences. That makes it even more difficult to put the stain on the wooden fence. So now I have to find a way to fix my mistake. I found that just trying to pull the weeds out from between the fences is nearly impossible, unless you're very strong and have very thin arms. I have neither. But not to worry, I got a brain storm while walking the dogs through the alley. Every day there are Fred Sanford trucks roaming the alleys, looking for scrap metal. I'm not sure how much thirty or forty feet of chain-link fence is worth at the scrap yard, but I'm sure one of them will take it away for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment