Thursday, November 16, 2017

A Beat Off



I was on my way out to the suburbs to see Mom in the hospital on Tuesday. As I zoomed down Lake Shore Drive, I suddenly could feel a flutter in my chest and a bit of light headedness. So I slowed down to sixty miles per hour. A few moments later it happened again and this time it did not go away. All I could think about was having a heart attack and driving off into Lake Michigan. So I slowed down a little bit more. That feeling of something fluttering around in my chest continued all day long. I considered walking down to the ER at the hospital my mom was in, but quickly pushed that out of my mind and drove back into the city. Wednesday morning I still had the feeling in my chest. Normally, when I lived in Florida, I would call my doctor and he would tell me to come right over. So I called my doctor here in Chicago. I got a automated machine that kept asking me questions. Finally I was connected with a human who asked me more questions.
"All I want is to see if I could get in to see the doctor today?"
"Sure, let me see what I can do....   Ummm, no. The doctor has no open appointments this week. I can connect you with a nurse who will help you."
"Okay." I said, and shortly a nurse was on the phone. She asked me what the problem was and then told me that she would have to turn me over to a triage nurse. After ten minutes of answering more questions, the triage nurse asked me if I wanted her to call 911 or was I feeling well enough to call them myself.
"No! No 911, no ambulances, no lights and sirens outside my house. All I want to do is go to the doctor."
"Sir, from what you have told me, you need to go to the emergency room right away."
"But I don't want to go to the emergency room." I said, nearly sobbing. "I just want to go to the doctor's office."
Well, the triage nurse convinced me that I needed to go to the ER immediately. Which I did. I had my friend Dennis drive me there and on the way my nurse sister called me and told me to make sure I tell them that I was having chest pains.
"That way they'll rush you right in there ahead of everybody else."
So I did, and they did. Still, it took five hours of poking, sticking, prodding, and waiting around. I was wired up like my old component stereo system. During the course of the day I saw five doctors. At least a couple of them were very young and cute, which made things a little bit more palatable. What I was told by the doctors was that I had an irregular heartbeat, that it was a beat off. It was explained that this was in the upper chambers and not much to worry about. They called it 'palpitations' which I thought only happened to antebellum ladies of the South along with the vapors. Anyway, I was sent home but I am still wired up with a monitor attached to me. I get to wear this thing for two days. I can't take it off, I can't take a shower with it on, and as of yet I don't know how the hell I'm going to sleep with it attached to me.


3 comments:

  1. We hope you're feeling better, Alan, and that your Mom is okay in the hospital!! Good you were not having a heart attack. (Those can be PAINFUL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Al, sorry to hear about this. Good to hear though that you are home and monitored. Glad to hear that your mom is doing better.Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel fine now. I'm taking my medications like the doctor told me to. Except now I have an infection in my eye. Probably from being in germy hospitals all week.

    ReplyDelete