Monday, November 13, 2017

Yellow Ants


The temperatures dropped into the teens for a couple of nights last week which required me to dress differently. I got up to walk the dogs on Friday morning and the thermometer read eighteen degrees. So I pulled on my thick winter jeans to keep my legs warm. Then I put on a tee shirt, a long sleeved shirt over that, a sweat shirt over those two things, an insulated vest that zips up to my chin over that, and finally I put on the big fluffy coat Mark bought me last year. That's the one I think is actually made for a woman but it is very warm, so what the hell, I'll wear it. The problem with all this clothing is that after putting it all on, I can't bend over and slip the dogs into their harnesses. Too many layers. This is how I get the dogs ready. Scout jumps up on the window sill so that I can put her harness and leash on. For Chandler, I make him stand at the top of the stairs while I walk down three stairs until he and I are at eye level. After getting all that together, I take the dogs out for their walks. But I still have a problem, I cannot pick up dog shit with all this crap on. When I am swaddled in these winter clothes I can't bend over to pick up my dog's poop. To reach the pile of poo, I have to drop to my knees. I'm sure I look like a complete moron, on my knees in the snow, scooping up dog shit. And I'm sure I look even more silly when I try to stand back up. On occasion I have had to drop and roll to the nearest tree so that I could drag myself back up. Yet despite these hardships, I still do not miss Florida. Have you heard about the hordes of yellow ants invading homes in FortLauderdale?

No comments:

Post a Comment