Monday, December 4, 2017

Hello, My Name is Darryl



I took the CTA down to see my sister Lisa on Saturday. Lisa moved into the city and has a nice little apartment downtown. So I hopped on a bus that took me to the 'L' train that goes to the Loop. I kind of get a kick out of riding public transportation. It's just like driving your own car but with a lot more stopping, and it moves a lot slower than a car, and you have to put up with a lot of other people riding with you. Oh, and sometimes it smells like piss. Other than that, it's just the same.

I was sitting in one of the 'L' cars, one of the new ones with the seats along the sides, near the door. At the Addison stop the doors opened and a large blind man came tap, tap, tapping his way onto the train. He felt his way in with his white cane and stopped directly in front of another man. Plenty of room on the train, but he stopped and stood directly in front of that man, only inches from his face. I could tell the man was uncomfortable. The blind man was holding an empty McDonald's cup, shaking it up and down, making the coins inside rattle. As the doors closed and the train started moving, the blind man started his spiel in a monotone voice.
"My name is Darryl and I am blind. I would appreciate any help you could give me. I need some money to pay my bills... suck my balls... so if you could help even just a little bit... fuck you people... I would be very appreciative."
Darryl turned away from the man, I don't even know if he knew he was there, and started tap, tap, tapping his way down the aisle.
"Hello, my name is Darryl and I am blind." He shook the McDonald's cup a few times. "Please give if you can... suck my balls... I will remember you in my prayers... eat shit... and god will bless you."
Darryl continued, his red tipped, white cane tapping just an inch from the toe of my shoe. I looked around the train to see if anybody else was hearing what I heard. Absolutely every other person on that train had their heads down, staring into the screen of their smart phones, totally ignoring Darryl. I was the only rube paying attention to blind guy with tourette syndrome.
"...any amount is welcome... shit... any help appreciated. God bless and thank you. My name is Darryl and I am blind... fuck shit crap... suck my balls... please help if you can... "
Nobody looked up. Nobody acknowledged his presence. I sat there in stunned silence and did nothing, too scared to move a muscle for fear that Darryl would stop to talk with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment