Wednesday, December 20, 2017

More Assholery



Yesterday I mentioned to Mark that somebody had vandalized the Christmas display that the lady down the street had on her front porch. He found that to be quite distressing. Then later in the day I was out in the back yard with the dogs when I heard some young male voices in the alley. Just as I peeked over the fence, I saw two teenage boys toss a bottle of cologne, then something else. So I hooked Chandler up to the leash and went out to investigate. What I found was a black canvas bag with two energy bars and some other inconsequential things in it. On the ground was the bottle of cologne. Down at the end of the alley I saw the two boys tossing the rest of their booty into the alley. From the looks of the canvas bag it didn't seem like they got much for their efforts. Once again I mentioned what happened to Mark. This time he was more than distressed and went off about how horrible it is to live in the city. After the theft of his Echo on Saturday added to these two incidents, He was quite upset. I understand his weariness with bad people cropping up all around us, but it isn't all that bad. First off the theft of his Echo. Thieves have taken advantage of Christmas for decades. It's nothing new. Second, the vandalism of our neighbor's beautiful Christmas display. Teenage boys have been vandals forever. I saw it in the suburbs, and back in Florida. It's what little asshole, teenage boys do. Finally the theft of that black canvas bag. Those 'little asshole, teenage boys' saw that somebody had left their mini-van unlocked out in the alley, with the tailgate open. It was a crime of opportunity. Anybody who has lived in the city for even a few days, learns not to leave anything unlocked. The guy with the mini-van might as well put a sign on his car, "Please steal something."

One thing I have to agree on with Mark, we both despise thieves. I don't like them in my house, near my house, or in my life. Nothing is worse than taking something that somebody else has worked for. I of course, would never steal something from somebody else. Except for those four pair of large rubber gloves I took from the doctor's office the other day while nobody was in the examination room. I felt I was owed those for having to wait nearly an hour past the appointment time.

3 comments:

  1. I put up with a lot of that in the city also. The house and garage was griffitied several times. Out her in the suburbs it happens as you said. The worst behavior I've witnessed , however, is the aholes that think they are priveliged. Many boorish folks out this way.

    ReplyDelete