Thursday, November 1, 2018

Halloween 2018


Halloween on Ravinia Drive, circa 1952

Another Halloween has come and gone. Again this year we had many children at the door trick or treating. Chicago is not like Florida where I think the kids were afraid of cranky old people, so we never saw any. Every year Mark would buy candy and nobody would show up, which turned out just fine for those in our house who like candy. Here at our new house in Chicago, I have developed a nice routine to deal with the kids. Instead of running down the stairs every time the doorbell rings, I station Scout on the window sill. When she goes batshit crazy I know there are kids out on the porch. So I open the window and all the kids hold their bags and plastic pumpkins up like little birds waiting to be fed. I then drop a fun sized candy bar out the window on each one of them, sometimes even hitting their trick or treat bag. I have to say, we have some cute kids around here. It's a heavily immigrant populated neighborhood, so we get all kinds of kids. Though I'm not sure they all know the rules. For instance, one kid had on blackface. Which was weird because I think she was black. I gave her two candy bars. Another child, about five years old, had on a full burka. The black burka was decorated with some sparkly stuff, but still, I was confused. Was that a real Muslim girl? We have many Muslims on our street and throughout our neighborhood. Was it even a girl? I don't know. I gave burka girl/boy three candy bars. After all, Halloween is the perfect time to be politically incorrect. Unless you're famous, then you'll only get in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment