Monday, June 4, 2018

Hole in the Wall Update




I am not the best of handymen. But I find that if I take my time, do my research, and follow rules and instructions, I can get things done. Over the weekend I just about finished a task that I had started fourteen months ago. It was very simple, remove the big mirror over the bathroom sink and replace it with a vintage medicine chest that Mark found. The mirror that had been up there was relatively new and did not fit in with the 1922 craftsman look of the house. For forty dollars at a flea market, Mark had found the perfect replacement. A period appropriate medicine chest with all the parts intact. It would be like finding an unadulterated Model T Ford in an old barn. It had its original glass shelves, unbroken and unchipped, along with the original light fixtures that attached to it. The only thing wrong with it was the wiring. It was old, fragile cloth covered wires. I could just imagine that stuff coming apart and electrocuting somebody as they snooped in my medicine chest.

First, in March of 2017, I removed the mirror that was on the bathroom wall. Glass shards everywhere. Then I began to remove the glue that had held it to the wall. This portion of the job took ten months. That glue was a bitch. A few weeks ago I handed the vintage medicine cabinet over to my nephew, Steven, and he rewired it. He did a beautiful job. Within a few days of Steven returning the medicine chest to me, I mounted it into the hole in the wall and hooked up the electricity to the lamps. So proud, so proud. Now fourteen months later I am almost done. All I have left to do is a little tile work around the edges of the cabinet. I'm hoping to have it done by next Christmas.


1 comment: