Friday, June 22, 2018

Rain



The rain and heat we've had over the last week reminds me of living in Florida. June is the rainiest month in South Florida. Almost every day there are thunder storms with fierce lightning and tropical downpours, like nothing you would ever see up here in Chicago. So I was happy to see the heat and humidity break back to more typical Chicago temperatures on Tuesday. However, we are getting some pretty good rains. Not Florida quality rain, but still good rain. It has unleashed the garden. The cucumber plant has doubled in size in just two days and is threatening to nudge out the tomato plant next to it. I thought four feet would be enough buffer, but despite the tomato plant also growing at a fantastic rate, the cucumber will probably try to choke it off. I've tried steering the tendrils of the cuke away from its neighbors, but every time it rains, it grows another two feet.

My favorite thing is when it rains at night. A burst of lightning, the thud of thunder, and I drift right off to sleep. Seriously, thunder storms do not keep me awake. Just the opposite, they put me to sleep. Wednesday night I slept straight through from midnight to seven in the morning. A very unusual occurrence. Not even a call from my bladder woke me up. I awoke on Thursday morning with saliva drooling from the corner of my mouth, and an extreme urge to run to the bathroom. It's been a long time since I slept that good. Trouble is it continued raining all morning and into the afternoon causing me to keep dozing off. I fell asleep in my big fluffy chair, on my bed, and while playing rummy on the computer. Yes, I can fall asleep while playing card games on the computer......  zzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment