Tuesday, October 2, 2018

A Walk Around the Block With Scout


I took Scout for her evening walkies yesterday and I thought you'd all like to come along with us. First, there's that hard jerk you have to be ready for when she goes bolting out of the front door and down the steps. (Because it's always fun to scare the crap out of anybody who may be walking by at that moment.) Seriously, she only weighs forty pounds, yet she can pull an arm out of the socket. Our first stop, Croatian Steve's tree where Scout lifts her leg and pees on it like a boy. Most of my neighbors think that Scout is a boy because she lifts her leg. That is followed by her second pee stop, in front of Skittles and Mashugana's house. Two tiny little dogs who stand on the back of a sofa in the front window and go batshit crazy as Scout takes her time sniffing and peeing in their front yard. We continue on and three pees later and we're across the street from the early Christmas house.

 
The Christmas in September House

Only this year there is something wrong. Every September since we moved here that house has had their Christmas tree up before the end of the month. Now it's October and no tree. Did they move, did they get a new calendar with all twelve pages in it, or are they dead and laying up there rotting? Whatever it is, I'm glad to not see a lit and decorated Christmas tree in September. We strolled around the block, over to Washtenaw Avenue, where Scout resumed her sniffing and peeing. I like Washtenaw, it has more trees than our street, more squirrels, and a skunk. I don't like the skunk, I've only seen it once. It was sitting next to a tree just a few feet from me and Chandler, my other dog. Chandler ignored it, and the skunk seemed to not give a shit that a giant dog was so close. I've had a dog get sprayed by a skunk before. It isn't very nice, especially for the dog. Even though I haven't seen that skunk in over a year, I can smell it. At least once a week during the summer skunky musk comes floating through the neighborhood, so I know it's still here.

 
Looking for Jax
Finally, we end our walk by checking if Scout's boyfriend, Jax, is out in his yard. She checks the gate and if he is out there she has a play date. If not, she just leaves a few drops of pee at the gate and goes home
Home


No comments:

Post a Comment