Monday, October 22, 2018

It's Over



It started back in February when I stuck a bunch of tiny seeds in those little fiber planters. I put them in the basement, right next to the sunniest windows and watered them as needed. Shortly little green sprouts popped up and before I knew it, it was late April and time to introduce them to our yard. Over the months of summer I watched as green things, flowery things, and edible things took over the place. It was so lovely. Dahlias across the back of the house. Nasturtiums along the north fence. Tomatoes in the garden. Raspberries, grapes, roses, marigolds, and plenty of volunteer plants. Morning glories were everywhere. That all ended this past weekend. Sunday morning I got up and checked the thermometer. Twenty nine degrees out in my backyard. Below freezing. Sure enough, by the afternoon most everything had wilted. Nasturtiums had faded along the fence. The dahlias were hit the worst, they completely gave up. The impossible to kill morning glories drooped in defeat, even though the temperature soared to fifty degrees by two in the afternoon. However, one resident of my backyard did not give up. One group of hardy flowers said screw you sub-freezing temperatures and raised their colorful heads towards the sun. The mums, they look better than ever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment