Monday, September 23, 2019

Dad's Sexy Secretary


In the dining room of our house on Ravinia Drive in Tinley Park, was my dad's secretary. No, not some woman who my dad was having an affair with. It was a sort of desk. A tall upright piece of furniture with glass doors enclosing a couple of shelves, a drop down writing surface with little cubbyholes behind that, and drawers below for storing all my dad's important shit. I'm not sure when it showed up in our house. As far as I know it was always there and when we moved, it moved with us. Each and every one of Dad's children spent time at that desk exploring the world of Dad. In that desk was Dad's pipe that he never smoked, Dad's stapler, paper clips, stamps, bills to be paid, his Zippo lighter from World War II, and pens. One pen in particular drew a lot of interest every time we would poke around in there. At one end of the pen was a girl, maybe a hula girl. She was floating in liquid and when you turned the pen upside down, her clothes came off.

Dad left this Earth, for almost twenty years now, and Mom has grown old without him. This past week Mom moved into her new apartment in a fancy ass, old peoples facility. Seriously, it is nice there. Two restaurants on the premises, a movie room, a library that looks like a men's club, and on demand attendants if you run into a 'situation' in your apartment. I didn't realize Mom could just press a button on her wrist and the attendant would come to help her. I would have told her to use it last Saturday when I was visiting. While I was there, Mom had a situation in the bathroom. I heard her call for me to get her a fresh pair of underpants. As I stood outside the bathroom door holding the underwear in my outstretched hand, she told me to bring it in to her. I was mortified. No young man (I'm twenty eight years younger than Mom.) should have to see his mom buck naked on the toilet. That vision is now burned into my memory. But I have wandered off my story here. You see, now that Mom has moved out of her house, much of her furniture won't fit in her new apartment. So I asked for Dad's secretary, and now it sits in my dining room just like when I was a little boy. I intend to move it into my office where I will use it daily. And when I drop that writing surface down, it will be just like I was five years old again playing with that pen.


No comments:

Post a Comment