Wednesday, November 11, 2020

....in the Box

 


My brother Gary and I went to visit Mom yesterday. Since we've got into the autumn season, the folks at the Crossing have ended outdoor visitations. No more yelling at mom across an eight foot expanse while airplanes, wind, and chirping birds compete for her attention. Now they have instituted indoor visitation, sort of. The good people at the Crossing have built a box just inside one of the patio entrances. Mom is allowed to wheel up to the Plexiglas windows outside the box. Meanwhile, visitors are allowed to open the patio door and step into the box after a vigorous check for covid19 symptoms. So there we were, looking through the Plexiglas at a thoroughly confused woman.

"Hi Mom, it's me.... Alan."

"Who is that?" Mom asked the aide that was with her.

"That's Alan. Your son."

Deep furrows appeared on her forehead and a quizzical look came over her face. So I quickly pulled my face mask down and repeated myself.

"It's me, Alan..."

Now she recognized me. Then she turned to my brother Gary.

"Who is that? I don't know that man."

"Yes Mom, it's Gary... your son."

"No it's not. I don't know that man."

Understand that my brother has not had a haircut since February. His hair has reverted to the hippie fashion that he sported fifty years ago. So it is possible that Mom didn't recognize her third oldest son. Again, Gary pulled down his mask and told her that it was him. Finally Mom waved her hand at him and let out a little giggle. I'm pretty sure she was screwing with him.

"Cut his hair, Alan. Get some scissors and cut his hair." She said with a little chuckle.

 Oh, and I forgot to mention that every time Gary or I would talk, the aide would have to repeat what we just said directly into Mom's ear. The Plexiglas was worse for her hearing than the airplanes, wind, and chirping birds. Anyway, we had a nice visit. Although, about fifteen minutes into it I started sweating because there was no ventilation in the box. In fact I think the Crossing had invented the perfect device for spreading covid19 and any other bug. A small airless room with two chairs for people to pass the germs back and forth.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment