Monday, November 16, 2020

The Tenderloin

 

For the last few months I have been going through the freezer and using up all the food Mark had put in there. Not just the freezer in the kitchen, but the one we have in the basement also. There were baby back ribs, chicken, sausages, weird appetizers from Trader Joe's, and other various foods. I ate most of them. I got down to the bottom of the kitchen freezer, and last week I found a pork tenderloin way down there. Frozen solid. So I put it in the refrigerator to thaw out, and on Friday I prepared it for dinner. While removing the pork from the wrapper, I noticed the expiration date. June of 2016. Hmmm.... That means the hog I was about to eat, died over four and a half years ago. I forged ahead. After all, what could go wrong with eating four and a half year old meat on Friday the thirteenth? Good news, nothing bad happened unless you count the pork tasting weird. It was funky. I ate about a third of it and put the rest in the fridge because my mom told us to never waste food. I may just throw it out anyway. We'll see how this latest covid lockdown goes. I may need that meat. My next taste treat from the bottom of the freezer might be the spinach dip I found under the pork tenderloin. That and the French onion soup next to it might be on the menu today. (Note to Dennis who lives upstairs. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow morning, check on me. Just in case.)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, today is the 19th and I am wondering if you are saying oink to the pig somewhere or are you foraging forward in the freezer to find another delight?

    ReplyDelete