Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Rudy's Store

 


1950s, Tinley Park, Illinois. 

 

Almost every day after school I would stop at Rudy’s store on my way home. Rudy’s was what today is called an old fashioned candy shop. Rudy’s had a long glass case filled with penny candies at the front of the store, a few shelves with some grocery essentials in the middle, and a lunch counter in the back where old men would gather and talk in the afternoon. After school a long line of kids would form at the left end of the candy case, and one by one we would dictate to Rudy, the store's owner, which candy we wanted. There was Black Jack gum, Lemon Heads, Jaw Breakers, Root Beer Barrels, Clove Gum (disgusting), Fire Balls, and many others. All for only pennies. Some only cost a penny, so a kid on a five cent allowance could get something. I would wait patiently in line and after a bit it would finally be my turn. With my face pressed to the glass case I'd call out my order to Rudy.  
“I’ll have one of those wax lips, a Slo Poke, a roll of Necco Wafers, and two red licorice whips.” 
Quickly my order was picked from the other side of the glass. I'd give Rudy a sweaty pile of coins, and he would hand me a small brown paper bag full of my goods. If a kid was up but couldn't make up his mind he had to move back one space in line. 
“Uh…  give me a purple jaw breaker…… uh…….ummm….” 
Rudy had no patience for those who waffled while ordering. 
“Next! When you make up your mind kid, I’ll get back to you.” 
And Rudy would move on to the next customer, which I liked. Because, to a ten year old in a candy store, time was of the essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment