Monday, January 4, 2021

It's a New Day

 


I awaken from a dream, opening my eyes to see that it is only five thirty in the morning. I have to pee, but I don't dare make a sound. Just the scrape of my eyelids on my eyeballs is enough to stir the beasts. Chandler and Scout, they have uncanny hearing. If they suspect that I have risen to some sort of consciousness, that I might be awake, they expect to be fed and let out into the backyard immediately. So I lay there motionless, but it is to no avail. I hear the first click clack of dog claws on the floor. It's Scout. She's over in her own bedroom, in her own bed, but she heard something. Maybe my breathing changes between sleeping and being awake. Whatever, she has sensed my stirring. More click clack, and the quiet cough of the old man, Chandler. Chandler now has an old man cough and bark that he uses to get my attention. It's not loud, but it is irritating. Just another thirty minutes of sleep, maybe fifteen, that's all I ask. But now the wood floors have become a doggy dance hall. Clickety, clack, clickity, clack. Both dogs are up and at the side of the bed, dancing and making low volume doggy noises. I am still motionless. They know better and finally Scout lets out a full volume bark. I give in and sit up on the edge of the bed. When I tell Alexa, "Turn on the lights", they both go into their happy dance. Another day has started.

1 comment:

  1. :) Can you tell Alexa to take the dogs out and then feed them?

    ReplyDelete