Monday, January 25, 2021

Mister Do It Yourself

 


I've often tried to do things around the house myself. I paint the house, I lay tile, I'll try things I have no business doing. I'm Mister SDIY, 'shouldn't do it yourself'. I have kind of felt sorry for the guy who bought our house in Florida. I just know it's a matter of time before things I did to that place start showing their age and failing. Like my self-installed windows. Or the swimming pool I painted instead of having it repaired professionally. Oh well, the buyer had the place inspected and I stipulated 'as is'. So that's, that. Now I'm in year five of owning the house I now live in. Certainly the sellers wouldn't have done something half assed that's going to blow up in my face. But alas, they did. I have bad brickwork that they had tuckpointed. Probably by some guy named Shifty. Every day I go out and find that bits of mortar have fallen to the ground. So I'll have to get that fixed come springtime. It will be expensive. That's not all. Yesterday I cleaned the bathroom. I made the mistake of wearing my glasses in there and realized it needed a thorough cleaning. I started removing everything not attached so I could scrub it down good. Unfortunately, when I pulled the bathmat out of the bathtub, large chunks of the 'porcelain' came out with it. That's because it isn't porcelain. It turns out that the bathtub was painted with some kind of epoxy. It looked very real to the untrained eye, which I have.... an untrained eye. I thought what I had was a very nice white bathtub. It turns out that what I really have is an old pink bathtub. So, I now have to make a decision. Do I hire somebody to fix it, do I try to fix it myself, or do I just put the bathmat back into the tub and cover it up. So far I'm leaning towards option three.


 

1 comment: