Thursday, February 11, 2021

I Slipped a Shiv Into Mom's Apple Slice

 


Went out to visit Mom yesterday. She's doing fine. A little problem with her left foot, but the doctor didn't seem too concerned. Anyway, visiting Mom is quite an ordeal. It's as if she is in prison. We, the visitor, have to sit inside a Plexiglas box that you step into from outside the building. It is cold, it is hard to communicate, and it sucks. On the other side of the Plexiglas is Mom, a little grumpy because she can feel the cold air seeping in from our side of the box. To facilitate conversing you have to call her on a phone. So we sit on one side yelling into a telephone and Mom sits on the other side saying 'What?' a lot. Still, it was good to see her in person. Even if it meant three hours of driving in a light snowfall for twenty minutes of face to face time with her. I feel lucky to have got that much time. About fifteen minutes in she started to roll away from the Plexiglas because she was cold, but we talked her into staying just a little bit longer.

Now about that three hour drive. I should have checked the windshield washer fluid before I left home. I didn't and by the time I hit Lake Shore Drive my windshield was opaque. Fifty miles later I pulled into a gas station to see if I needed fluid or if it was frozen. At this point I still don't know because my hood was frozen shut. I could not get the damn thing open. I drove back home those fifty miles, effectively blind. Thank goodness they paint lines on the highways.

No comments:

Post a Comment