Friday, February 5, 2021

Snovid

 


I took my friend Dennis downtown to get his covid vaccination yesterday. His car is solidly buried in the snow out front while mine is nice and dry in the garage, so I gave him a ride. It was actually nice to get out of the house. Before we went downtown we stopped out on the far northwest side so Dennis could check up on another friend's apartment. She's been in the hospital for a few days and needed some things done. While we were there the lady across the hall came out of her apartment with the cutest little dachshund dog. Her dog was fascinated by my shoes and spent a bit of time closely checking them out. Probably because they've got the fine aroma of Chandler and Scout on them. Anyway, while we were inside, it started snowing outside. When we finally got on the road to go downtown, the snow was coming fast. An odd thing happens in Chicago when it snows. Just about thirty minutes earlier we had been driving on clear streets with very little traffic. Now, with snow falling all around us, it seemed that every knuckle head in Chicago decided it was time to get out and drive around. When it snows in Chicago, normal people forget how to drive. They forget what a green traffic light means. They become timid and are terrified of CTA buses. Pedestrians start walking in the middle of the street. Oh, and for one intemperate asshole, a red traffic light means that there is no reason to stop. With the long lines of traffic and crazy driving, it took us over an hour to get down there. But we got there and Dennis got his vaccination.

Remember the dachshund? Well, when I got home Chandler and Scout were waiting at the door. I walked in and they started frisking me up and down like I was some kind of criminal suspect. As I walked through the house, both their noses were attached to my pants sniffing and snorting, wanting to know just what tramp I had allowed to get near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment