Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Can I come in and tell you about God's good news?

So I've got my clipboard with the petition against the G Resort, and I've waited until around seven in the evening to start canvassing my street as block captain. My reasoning is most people will be home from work and finished with dinner by that time. My plan is to get all the signatures this evening.

Let me tell you a little bit about our block. It is what I call the red-headed step child of the neighborhood. The homes around here are relatively expensive, single family houses on waterfront lots. All of them that is except for the ones on our block. Our street consists of rental units in duplexes and triplexes, of which mine is one of the only three that are owner occupied. The rest are occupied by people of various economic and social backgrounds, and various weaknesses for drugs and alcohol. And that is why I might have wanted to start my canvassing a little earlier.

Knock, Knock
"Who is it?"
"Hi, it's your neighbor from down the street."
"That's nice."  (then silence)
After about thirty seconds I tried again.
Knock, knock
"WHAT!"
"Sir, I'd like to talk to you about the resort hotel they want to......."
"WHAT THE HELL?!" (the sound of stumbling, and then more silence)

I had waited too late in the day to start, the guy was drunk and pissed that I'd interrupted his evening stupor. This happened at three more houses I visited, in various degrees. Some were too stoned to understand what I was telling them, and others simply ignored my knock at the door. My neighbors had succeeded in making me feel like a Jehovah's Witness, except without the self assurance that they'd all be going to hell and I wouldn't.

Although I did manage to get eight signatures, it wasn't that impressive. Four of those were Mark and my tenants, who probably figured they had to sign the petition or I'd be pissed off at them. They were never more correct.

4 comments:

  1. This is just a reflection of our election process. It is those people that get involved that may get their way. 10% of people can vote to impact the lives of the other 90% who simply don't care. This is unfair and not a true representation of democracy in my opinion. People should be required to vote just as we are required to get a license to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except of course we don't want the stoopid to vote. That's how we got Bushy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knock knock
    "Who is it?"
    "The police with a drug sniffing dog "
    (silence)
    "Open your door and sign this piece of paper and I won't take you to jail."
    (compliance and possibly a treat for Chandler)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knock, Knock
    Neighbor: "Who is it?"

    What the neighbor hears:

    Alan: "High?, it's Officer Nate Borr from down the street."

    Neighbor: "Damn, I'm busted. That's twice this month." (here a flushing sound then silence)

    After about thirty seconds I tried again.

    Knock, knock
    Neighbor: "WHAT!"

    What the neighbor hears:
    Alan:"Sir, I'd like to talk to you and don't want to resort to hostel action. They want to talk to you down at the jail......."

    Neighbor: "WHAT THE HELL?!" (the sound of stumbling, and then more silence and more flushing)

    ReplyDelete