Monday, February 1, 2016

WSVN: Channel Seven



I have 120 hours worth of television programs on my DVR. That's five solid days of television watching that I know I will never get to. There are movies on there from more than a year ago, about sixty hours of cooking shows, and way too much "Real Housewives" crap that Mark records. It almost makes me wish it were like the old days before recording a program was so easy. Back in the VCR era a program had to be worthy of my precious video tapes. I didn't just hit record because of a mild curiosity, I had to really want to watch a show that I recorded and I invariably did watch those shows. The VCR was not for recording The Cosby Show, or The French Chef, it was for recording Chicago Bears football and watching movies. All kinds of movies.

Three weeks ago AT&T U-verse started running a crawl across the bottom of the television screen warning us that soon our local FOX television station, WSVN, would be unavailable. Something about the station wanting to be paid for the free over the air content that you can get if you put up an antenna. They got greedy so AT&T U-verse took them down. Now all we get on channel seven is a blue screen with a messaged telling me that AT&T U-verse is working to return it to me soon. The first weekend without my local FOX channel had me mildly upset. It was a football playoff weekend and I missed one of the games. Sure I had no interest at all in watching the Seahawks and the Panthers that weekend, but still, it bothered me. However, as time has worn on I have come to realize that I do not miss FOX. I don't care that I can't see The Simpsons, Family Guy, or any of the rest of the FOX lineup. But that's me. Mark is a different animal. Right now, in the other room, I can hear Mark whining and bitching about not being able to see Grease: Live. So I reminded him that he has plenty of "Grease" on the DVR. He recorded all of those Real Housewives shows. Now that's greasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment