Friday, September 21, 2018

Mom's Grape Juice


Mom at about the halfway mark. Only five of us.
Looking back at my childhood I am in awe of my mom. Eleven kids, not all of us the most well behaved, and she handled it. Poopy diapers, wet sheets, feeding the horde breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Baths, house cleaning, breaking up fights, and keeping count to make sure she didn't inadvertently misplace one us. Mom not only had those eleven independent minds to keep in line, she had my dad to take care of. He was loud and in charge when he was around. Mom did all that and only went through one bottle of Mogen David Wine a week.

Mark has gone through a rough patch lately. He's had some health problems that have rendered him pretty much house bound. He was getting better until that Bell's Palsy thing hit him last Saturday. The good thing is that he is slowly, very slowly, been improving all week. However, he hasn't been able to cook for me, he can't go shopping (Possible blessing there), and he has turned over the entire running of the house to me. I was brilliant when I was only taking care of myself, but now I have myself, two dogs, and Mark. At times I have felt like getting in the car and just driving away until I hit an ocean. So many interruptions to my Facebook time.
"Alan, I need some water."
"Alan, fetch my meds."
"Alan, time for my sponge bath."
"Alan, feed me."
"Alan, help me put on my pants."
 Again, I am in awe of Mom. Last week I went through four bottles of wine, a few beers, and a couple of vodka cocktails. Really Mom, only one bottle of Mogen David? 


1 comment: