Tuesday, September 25, 2018

The Red Eyed Man in My Bedroom


The Red Eyed Man

I do love deep sleep. It's something I rarely get. It seems that I'm always drifting off to sleep, or at the point of awakening. The drifting off part is when Mark likes to ask me, "Are you sleeping?" Of course he only asks me that when we're watching a movie or sometimes when I'm driving. When he does that I snap to attention and say "No, awake... I'm awake.." as I steer the car back onto the highway. The period of sleep just before awakening is a strange time. Usually I have a dream and in that dream, no matter what else the subject, I have to pee and I spend part of the dream looking for a place to do that. When I was a kid that would get me into trouble because I invariably found a place to pee. In my bed. I don't do that anymore. Another strange thing about sleep is the few seconds when you first open your eyes. Sometimes, if the television is still on, I will open my eyes and wonder why the television has such a strange picture. I can hear the audio, but the picture is screwed up. It only takes a few seconds but I then realize my eyes are not looking at the television screen. I'm looking at the wall, or the closet door, or at the window. A few months ago I woke up and all I saw was a little red eyed man looking at me. He had a little red hat that drooped to the side, beady little eyes, and a strange nose...or was that his mouth? I laid there puzzled for a few seconds and then I figured it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment