Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Pop Goes The Weasel


Every morning for the last month, I've come out into the back yard to find the place covered in purple stains. Dripping down the lounge chairs, splattered upon the large sun umbrella, and generally coating most everything. It seems that the mulberry tree next door has been producing lots of mulberries, and the birds love them. Apparently mulberries don't stay in the bird's digestive tract for too long. In a little circle around the dog's water bowl are purple bird droppings because the birds like to drink the dog water. The dogs don't seem to mind. Mulberries aren't the only thing the birds like. They like my golden raspberry bush too. Sweet and juicy, tender and ripe, every evening and every morning I walk out into the back yard and find the raspberry bush full of birds. It's as if I planted the whole yard just for the wild life. Which I did. Don't tell Mark, but I'm glad the birds have found the fruits of my labor delicious. Over in the flower beds a few rabbits have found the eating good. And most of all, my dogs love the tomatoes. As of today, I have eaten about two dozen golden raspberries, a couple of cherry tomatoes, and one cucumber. Everything else has been eaten up by the animals. I'm not sure when they are going to become ripe, but against the garage is a large grapevine hanging heavy with little bunches of grapelings. I've been told that skunks like to eat grapes, so there will be a race to get them off the vine.

1 comment:

  1. Get a bee hive and make honey. That should attract bears.

    ReplyDelete