Monday, January 21, 2019

But Plug?


In the confusion of Christmas day I have forgotten exactly where it came from, but I do remember asking Mark,
"What is it?"
"It's a smart plug."
"Okay, why is it smart?"
"It's for the bedroom. After you install it, I can tell Alexa to turn off the lights when I'm ready to go to sleep."
As with everything in this house, I was expected to install the thing. So it sat around for over three weeks. Sometimes I need time to think about things before I actually do them. Sometimes I think about them for years. Anyway, on Saturday I decided to tackle the smart plug. First I had to download an app to my smart phone. Then I had to plug the smart plug into an outlet and press the little button for five seconds. When the little light started flashing I had to launch the app on my phone and tell the smart plug what wireless network to connect to, because it wasn't smart enough to do that on its own. I then plugged the table lamps on the bedside into the smart plug. When I touched the little green circle on my smart phone, the lights came on. Touch it again, the lights went out. Didn't seem that smart to me. Now I had to connect the thing to the Amazon Alexa.
(I have to say, Alexa isn't all that smart. Today I asked her about the civil rights history of Philadelphia, Mississippi and all she told me was that it was in Neshoba, County. She really is an idiot.)
I was instructed to open the Amazon app on my phone. I don't have an Amazon app on my phone, so I had to download that. Now I had to sign in to Amazon. I have an account, but I do not remember the password. I don't remember the password for most of the things I have signed up for and always have to click on that 'forgot password' thing. To make a long story short, after fucking around with Amazon, the smart plug, and various other things for an hour, I gave up. I instructed Mark that at night, when he wants to turn off the bedside lamp, to reach over and turn that little black on/off switch by the light bulb. It works very well and requires little effort. Now that's smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment