Monday, March 18, 2019

The Candy Man


On Saturdays I do the grocery shopping. Mark writes up a list, and I go to the store and get what Mark wants. Through this story, just remember, I hate shopping. So, one thing Mark likes me to buy for him is candy. Candy is one of those things that I'd never buy on my own, but Mark wants his candy. On the grocery list I am instructed to go over to the 'Osco' side of the store, which is the drug store side, and look for the Easter candy. Mark wants Reese's fun size peanut butter cups and Hershey's Kisses. I search up and down the aisle not finding what Mark wants. There is a stock boy there and I ask him. He says, "Uh, I doan-know." and then turns and continues whatever the hell it was that he was doing. So I take my shopping cart and leave the 'Osco' side of the store. That's when I notice that Mark had written "Apple pie" in a corner of the shopping list. I had already passed through the bakery section which was all the way across in the 'Jewel' side of the store. So I schlepped on over there and found the apple pies that were on sale. As I put the pie into the cart I sensed something was wrong. My cart was filled with candy and all kinds of other crap. It was not my cart. This was the stock boy's cart and it was full of products he was moving around that aisle. My cart was still sitting clear over on the other side of the store with my hat and gloves in it, along with all the shopping I had already done. I was very upset, but don't worry. Only one "fuck" slipped out of my lips before I realized people could hear me. I started across the store, abandoning the cart full of crap as I raced back there. I wasn't pushing that thing all the way across the store. When I got there the stock boy was still in the aisle, looking kind of confused. Even more so than he did when I had asked him where the Reese's fun size peanut butter cups were. I quickly grabbed my shopping cart, which was right where I had left it, and toddled on over to the frozen food aisle. I know, I should have brought the stock boy's cart back to him. But if he was too dumb to know where the Reese's and Hershey's candy was, he was too dumb to figure out that I had moved his cart clear across the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment