Thursday, May 9, 2019

Of Mouse and Man and Hot Dog


About three months ago I noticed a small black blur run past me along the baseboard in the kitchen. Despite wanting to deny what I saw, it was a mouse. Since then I've tried everything I could think of to get rid of it. Mark has seen it wandering around in the kitchen twice. My upstairs neighbor has seen what I hope is the same mouse, a number of times. And the dogs go insane every once in awhile, barking at something under the stove. Dennis the upstairs neighbor, says it boldly walks around his living room as if he owns it. So I've tried the sticky traps with what I think are delightful treats placed in the middle. Nothing. I've tried the traditional, snap shut trap. Nothing. No matter what treat I put in the trap I cannot entice the little rodent to bite. Cheese, bacon, bread, peanut butter, a cracker, barbecue sauce, and recently cake frosting. Chocolate cake frosting. And it was really good cake frosting, I wanted to lick that trap myself. I have even put out rodent poison but that hasn't even been touched. So now this beast has been living inside our house for over three months and I cannot catch it. I keep wondering, what is it eating? What is nourishing this mouse? Just the crumbs that Mark drops on the floor every time he goes into the kitchen? Anyway, as long as it wasn't in our cabinets or on the counters, I was able to deal with it. Until now. I went to have a hot dog for lunch and when I picked up the bag of buns, I noticed that there was a half eaten bun inside. Then I looked more closely. There was a hole chewed in the plastic bag. I threw out the bag of buns, saving one for my hot dog. I really had my heart set on a hot dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment