Friday, May 3, 2019

Road Trip


I used to love road trips. My niece Laura and her husband, have been on a big time road trip to the west coast and back the last couple of weeks. It reminded me of some of the road trips I have taken. Unfortunately, as I get older, road trips are not as much fun as they used to be. If I drive for more than a couple of hours I start seeing double and I dearly want to close my eyes and go to sleep. The trip out to Mom's house every week takes about forty five minutes one way and that's starting to get very boring. The only reason I can tolerate it is because it gives me four hours a week away from Mark. Not that I don't love being with Mark twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. It's just that sometimes I need a break from a man who likes to talk, and talk, and talk. I have left the room while Mark is talking and when I return he will still be going on as if I had never left. Anyway, I have a plan for a road trip. Not in the near future, but maybe like two or three years from now. I will have to hire a baby sitter for Mark, and I plan to take my dogs with me because leaving them with Mark would mean certain death for them. What I want to do is buy a drivable, Ford Model A car. Not some trailer queen that has been restored to  pristine condition, but a driver. I would then like to take it on a road trip through parts of Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. Maybe a few hundred miles, and only on two lane county roads, avoiding all busy highways. It would be like a trip back in time. I think it would be a lot of fun and I could blog along the way. Think of the stories of me and the dogs in a ninety year old car, out in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, I can't find any flaws in my plan at all.


2 comments:

  1. Alan, make sure there is floor in that car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. I wouldn't want the dogs to fall through.

      Delete