Thursday, October 15, 2020

Alan Gets a Flu Shot

 


I went to the doctor yesterday. My original intent was to get a flu shot and I figured as long as I was there he could give me my yearly health checkup. I kind of like this new covid19 way of doing things. The doctor's office schedules patients so that there isn't more than one in the waiting room at any one time. So wait time was minimal. I was quickly ushered into the examination room and soon after the nurse finished with my vitals, the doctor came in. I guess turning the magic age of seventy triggers some new questions from the doctor. 

"Have you been depressed or sad in the last four weeks?"

Well crap. I answered "yes."

The doctor looked up at me, but said nothing.

"Remember when I told you about my partner? I wanted him to come and see you?"

"Yes, I remember."

"He passed away three weeks ago."

After a bit of discussion about that the doc then asked me if I felt like hurting myself or others. I suppose there are those who go to pieces at times like this, but I shook my head and said, "No, no way. I don't think like that." The doctor then started asking more questions about how I live and deal with things. He asked if I was afraid of falling down stairs? Ummm... yes. You would have to be stupid not to be afraid of falling down stairs. Falling down stairs hurts, so yes, I fear hurting myself. More questions to be answered. Do I cook for myself? Can I dress myself? Do I need help bathing? And so on, and so on. For krissakes, I'm not an invalid. I simply turned seventy years old ten months ago. I'm sad, my back hurts, my feet hurt, and my fingers hurt, but I'm not going to fall down the stairs while trying to kill somebody after getting dressed and cooking breakfast. So when it was all over, the doctor renewed my blood pressure medicine, cholesterol medicine, ordered a blood test, and said goodbye. As the nurse walked me down to the lab for the blood work, I asked her...

"What about the flu shot?"

"Oh, we're out of those. Ran out this morning, but you'll be on the list when we get some more"

4 comments:

  1. I got my flu shot a couple days ago. Today, I voted! Long lines, loads of precautions, took about 90 minutes (it usually takes about 5) but worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I voted by mail. No problem. They emailed me that they received it and it will be counted.

      Delete
  2. PS How is Alicia? Haven't seen her in forever! I'd love to hear her opine about trump:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia and Alexis have disappeared somewhere in Chicago. Haven't seen them in over three years. You'd think with all the bars closed they would have shown up. They may have gone up to Great Lakes Naval Base. Alicia always did have a appetite for sailors.

      Delete