Friday, October 9, 2020

Home

 

Watching Jeopardy

I had a sad task to do on Monday. It was up to me to go pick up Mark's remains from the funeral parlor. Knowing what was in store, and also knowing unexpected emotions would make this difficult, I asked my friend Dennis to accompany me.

Now that I have Mark at home on the mantel, I somehow feel better. We used to watch Jeopardy every day together, and it kind of feels like he's with me when I watch it now. I can't explain why I feel comforted having his remains close by. I just do.

 Driving over to the funeral parlor, I was anxious. How would it go, what was the proper way to deal with your loved ones ashes? Exactly how would they present them to me? When I got to the funeral parlor, I parked across the street. Dennis stayed in the car while I went in. I have to say, the staff were all so very good at what they do. They made me feel very calm. I signed for the package and a nice lady came out of the office with a blue shopping bag. Inside was a box with Mark's ashes. That's when I lost it. My eyes welled up and I started sobbing. In a fog I walked outside. I don't know how I made it across that busy street. I just remember a lot of cars whizzing by. When I got across I opened the car trunk and laid the blue shopping bag inside. It took me a minute to dry my tears before I got into the car where Dennis was waiting for me.

"Geez, I saw you trying to cross that street with that blue bag and all I could think was, for Christ's sake Alan don't get hit by a car. I don't want to see a cloud of ashes blowing away down the street."

And that, my friends, is exactly why I wanted Dennis with me. What are friends for but to tell you inappropriate jokes at appropriate times.

3 comments:

  1. Alan - you are lucky to have a great friend like Dennis! I know how hard that was for you. The people that work in the funeral business are experts at being calm and understanding. I don't know how they do it but they do. But having Dennis lighten it up, well that's exactly what you needed. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed and felt guilty then read "...What are friends for but to tell you inappropriate jokes at appropriate times." So true. Life goes on even if the map is full of unknown places. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Dennis was with you. Like you said sometimes you need an inappropriate joke at the appropriate time. I'm also glad that having Mark there on the mantel with you helps. Love you Alan.

    ReplyDelete