Thursday, October 22, 2020

Garfield Goose and Friends

 


When we were kids there were five television stations in Chicago. The big three networks, Channel Nine, and Channel Eleven. Channel Nine was only good for after school. About ninety minutes of Three Stooges, Popeye, and Garfield Goose until dinner time. After dinner WGN, Channel Nine, got boring and Channel Eleven was useless to us. It was the 'educational' channel. Hard to watch, like dry white toast. The one good thing about television back then was that it was free and easy to access. Just get up off the sofa, walk over to the TV, and turn the big channel knob if you wanted to watch something else. Years later came the remote control in my adult life, and it was even easier to watch television. And oh my god, cable television came along and I was in heaven. Well, it seems that something evil has taken over my television watching these days. I keep seeing spots advertising new and exciting shows, but I can't get them. No, they're on the fifty new streaming services that have popped up in the last few years. Now I can't just flip through the channels to find a show. I have to grab the 'smart TV' remote and switch over to the streaming menu. Then I have to find what I'm looking for once I get to that service, which often involves scrolling through endless viewing options. An hour later I still haven't watched anything and I have sore flipper thumb. Can anybody tell me where the hell to find Peacock TV? Apple TV? Fuqknuts TV? Yes, there are some options that I can't even find. Which is why I often find myself scrolling down to the low end of the cable TV guide and end up watching sixty year old crap in black and white.

1 comment:

  1. Once my daughter leaves (she graduated from college in December and is only here because of the pandemic) I am out of luck for turning on the TV and/or finding a show.

    ReplyDelete