Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beer Frame

I used to be somewhat coordinated. I could walk and chew gum at the same time, but the older I get I find things aren't working like they used to. What happened? At what point did my body stop reacting to what my brain told it to do.

Monday nights are bowling league nights and I look forward to them. I like the camaraderie, having a drink with friends, and I used to like the winning. I used to have a 185 bowling average. I now have a 137 average, and I'm lucky to have that. When I get up to bowl, I have every intention to release the ball and have it land, with regularity, where I want it to. It's called hitting your mark. Instead, my arm goes into a spastic jerk off to the right or left and the ball ends up rolling uselessly down the alley, knocking down three or four pins. I even threw a gutter ball a couple of weeks ago, very embarrassing.

Even suffering from a declining ability to bowl, I still enjoy it. Having a few drinks, while competing against people ten to thirty or more years younger keeps me thinking, that at some point I will get better. Over the next ten weeks, until the end of the league season, I intend to try harder and maybe even practice. It would be nice to see some improvement. If not, there is always the 'Lighthouse for the Blind' bowling league. They use those rails, and cheer if you manage to keep the ball rolling down the lane all the way to the pins. Of course, it would be embarrassing to be beaten by people who are really blind.

11 comments:

  1. I think it's time for shuffle board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know people, I could get you in the Special Olympics bowling league. Just give me the word and your in. Of course I bowl sooooo badly that I would not qualify for any team. Besides, I hate the way my fingers smell from balls that others have been playing with before me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you didn't touch other peoples balls your fingers wouldn't smell like that. Go to a pro shop and they will help you with your own balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gov of NY went to a pro shop and look what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you said, it's still fun. that is what it's all about. I too like to bowl well but try to have a good time no matter what.

    Even though we didn't win any games last night, I had one of the most fun nights ever. The guys we played against were fun and everyone had a few laughs.

    Personally, I like to smell my fingers after playing with other people's balls. At least I'm honest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all talking about bowling balls, right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was, don't know what the other pervs are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really never thought about that before. I can just imagine where some peoples finger have been after using public balls. EWWW... I wonder if they spay disinfectant in the holes. I never thought of that. I'll have to suggest that to the local bowling alley ...to clean their balls better and wash out their holes. I hope they don't ban me and kick me out for saying that. Maybe they'll just tell me to go back to the bar. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excuse Me! Look who's calling the kettle black.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, It just never dawned on me that other bowler could have been picking there nose or scratching their butt or have colds and then use the balls then put them back on the rack. Then the next person handles it and so on.

    If I ever have to handle those public balls I'm going to spray some disinfectant in there.

    Who wants to go bowling now?

    Well, grab your balls and let's go bowling!

    ReplyDelete