Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hippie Road Trip; part one

In 1971 I was living in Iowa, on a farm with a bunch of other hippies. One of those hippies was a woman named 'Kiva', who was older than the rest of us, and a bit exotic to us because she was a New York City, Jew. She was exotic to me because growing up in Tinley Park, I believe there was only one Jewish family in town, total. One day in early spring, Kiva and I hit upon the idea of traveling to New York City in my Volkswagen Minibus. It seemed like a great idea to me, so with no planning, and very little money, we were off on a hippie adventure.

Our first stop traveling from Iowa, was my parents house in Tinley Park. My parents were not at home when we arrived, and all I really remember is a gaggle of my little sisters in the kitchen looking at us, all big eyed like we had just dropped in off some other planet. I would really be curious as to what they were thinking when they saw their big brother and this strange woman standing in the midst of their little world.

After a short visit with my family, we continued on eastward towards NYC. We drove almost non-stop, trading off driving, listening to really cool music on my 8-track tape player (an obsolete technology that used a never-ending loop of tape, and often would change tracks right in the middle of a song) and smoking hand rolled cigarettes.

I thought I was familiar with big cities, having lived in Chicago for a while, but my first impression upon entering New York by way of the George Washington Bridge was like nothing I had ever felt. I swear I could feel the energy of all eight million inhabitants as I drove off the bridge, into Manhattan. We turned north, towards the Bronx and Kiva's moms house. I was surprised when Kiva's mom opened the door and screamed "Barbra, what aw you doing heah?". Up until that moment I had never known Kiva's real name, in fact I hadn't even considered it. Within minutes, Kiva's mom transformed her from a new age hippie woman, with a vague aura of magic, into a Jewish girl named Barbra from the Bronx. Her mom didn't like anything about what she saw, especially me. So the next morning, after eating a strange breakfast made up of something I had never heard of before, 'lox, and cream cheese on a bagel', we went into Manhattan to find a place for me to stay.

To be continued...

11 comments:

  1. Are you sure that those were hand rolled cigarettes you and Kiva smoked? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they were definitely hand rolled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you anonymous, you were right both times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened to the mini bus?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you like lox and cream cheese on a bagel now? I have never liked the combination. I guess it's just a Jewish thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm goy and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I like lox and cream cheese on a bagel now.

    Read tomorrow about the mini-bus.

    You go goy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did this blog change to a critique on Lox and Cream Cheese on bagels?

    I prefer oatmeal and bananas with soymilk personally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you milk a soybean? Where are the soy udders?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is how soymilk is made.

    http://www.vegtv.com/Soy/soy_17.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alan: Get yourself some soybeans. Make sure they are females (you don't want to try to milk male soybeans)

    Then get a magnifying glass and a couple tiny pair of tweezers. You might want to get a friend to help hold the soybeans while you milking them with the tweezers.

    It's going to take a while to get a full glass and you may have to use a couple hundred soybeans.

    ReplyDelete