Thursday, March 13, 2008

Macula Non Est En Te??

The part of American Idol I love the most, is over. That would be the mass auditions, where they bring in the absolute worst and the best for the judges to mock. Once you get past that point, Idol isn't as much fun. If you continue watching after that and you latch on to a contestant and are really pulling for them to win, you lose all interest in the show if they are kicked off. The one I have latched on to, and is my favorite right now, is cute little David Archuleta. Unfortunately, on Tuesday he was in over his head, and basically ruined one of my favorite Beatles songs. However, I'm sure he will be back next week.

When I was in grade school, probably around fifth grade, the nuns used to make us sing in their little Saint George chorus. We had to learn all these strange religious songs in Latin, while under threat of a large woman in black robes wielding a Ninja ruler. I'll never forget standing in the school boiler room, sweating my ass off, singing songs in a dead language, and wondering what it all meant. I don't know why we rehearsed in the boiler room, other than, that the hiss and hum of the boilers drowned out the awful sound of our voices, making it easier on the rest of the school. We actually didn't do only old Latin songs. Once one of the nuns had apparently seen Oklahoma, the musical, so we learned the entire soundtrack. To this day when I hear one of those songs, I'm transported back to the boiler room.

One thing is for sure, I have a horrible singing voice. I have taped myself singing and I can assure you it is hideous. It sounds something like bagpipes when the air is being let out of them. If you ever see me at a sporting event during the national anthem, I am lip synching. I learned long ago to just move my lips when, beyond my control, I am stuck in a group singing environment. If you don't believe me, check it out the next time you see me at a birthday party, and we're all singing 'Happy Birthday to You'.

13 comments:

  1. I figured you like the cute male contestant. Why doesn't that surprise me. Duh! I'm sure it's for his talent too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that Clay or Sanjaya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, and I thought I was the only mean person who enjoyed the BEGINNING of "IDOL"! Mostly I am impressed that some people have such wonderful self-esteem that they think what they do is worthy of television. I am horrified and embarrassed for so many of them... and then entertained by their attitude when they are rejected. At my office, half the people follow the rest of the show to the point that we are "voting" on who they think will win. My vote is based solely on their chatter and the small clips of Idol that I see on the news. (my system works just as well as theirs!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you find that picture of Dennis dressed as a nun? It is him isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is me, and I'm not wearing any underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought she smelled funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, next Halloween I want to see Dennis as Sister Mary Hootchie Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hymn goes like this:O Sanctissima, O Piissima
    Dulcis Virgo Maria
    Mater amata, Intemerata
    Ora, Ora Pro Nobis

    O most holy, O most lowly
    Sweet Virgin Mary
    Beloved Mother, undefiled
    Pray, pray for us!

    Other verses are:


    Tota pulchra es, O Maria
    Et macula non est in te
    Mater amata intemerata
    Ora, ora pro nobis

    Sicut lilium inter spinas
    Sic Maria inter filias
    Mater amata intemerata
    Ora ora pro nobis

    In miseria, in angustia
    Ora Virgo pro nobis
    Pro nobis ora in mortis hora
    Ora, ora pro nobis

    Tu solatium et refugium
    Virgo Mater Maria
    Quidquid optamus per te speramus
    Ora, ora pro nobis

    You most likely learned this in the month of May or during the Marian Year.en te most likely would be Spanish while in te is Latin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the age of ten, it didn't matter. It was gibberish to me.

    Thanks Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Believe it or not I was an alterboy drop out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe you Garet, the priest didn't want to bend his rules. Who had so much time to write all those words in what I guess is Latin...it's Greek to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would lay money down that the Latin-writer is named Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now Peggy, you knew I would have to edit that.

    ReplyDelete