Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Happy Seventh Deadly Sin Days

I never understood the meaning of gay pride. Actually it's the pride part that I don't get. How can you be proud of something that you didn't have any part of? It's like being proud that you have long fingers, brown hair, or that your great grandfather was Thomas Jefferson. You can appreciate those things, but pride, I don't know. How about gay acceptance days, where we work to accept ourselves, and to educate the world that we are all of the same human race, and they need to accept that? I know, it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.Last weekend was gay days here in Wilton Manors, and we had a lovely parade Saturday during the early evening hours. They started doing it in the evening last year, mostly I suppose, so that the drag queens wouldn't melt, and the drunks would be less obvious in the dark. I've included some photos of the events here in this post, and you might notice that as the evening wore on, the photos become more blurred. That's because as the parade passed by, we were all having cocktails and the more I had, the more trouble I had holding the camera steady. Also you won't see any pictures from the midday street fair on Sunday. That's because it was a hundred degrees out, and by the time I walked up to the fair from home, I was exhausted. I decided to just relax in a nice cool tavern, and suck down a few beers instead of browsing the booths that were lined up and down the middle of the street. After all, if you've seen one gay street fair, you've seen them all. They all consist of gay insurance companies, gay travel agents, gay real-estate agents, and a booth with the local cops in it trying to convince you that they are cool. They aren't.Happy gay acceptance days !!!



2 comments:

  1. I was thinking of writing a similar post, but you've said it better than I could have. I don't get the "Pride" thing either.

    While I love good party, this whole thing seems divisive and counterproductive. I think a new name would help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't go this year due to my work schedule. I heard it was very nice. I think the evening is a much better time since it is usually very hot during the day. You're right about the make up. wink

    ReplyDelete