Monday, January 25, 2010

Put A Little Money In The Kitty


I am terrified that I am turning into 'The Crazy Cat Lady' of the neighborhood, or even worse turning into my ex, Garet, who collected cats like some people collect aluminum cans. Last Thursday Chandler started to go crazy at the window, barking and pawing at the screen. When I looked out to see what he was unhappy with, I saw my two cats Britney, and Lindsey, plus another little gray cat all sitting on the lounge next to the pool. My first impulse was to think, “Isn’t that cute”, but upon further inspection I saw that the new cat was severely injured. It had a large strip of fur missing on its back, and one eye was in bad shape. I knew it needed help so I coaxed it into a carrier, and brought it down to Abandoned Pet Rescue. After all, I volunteer there, and I have adopted three animals from them. I should have a positive balance, like a bank account. I take three, return one, and I still have credit for two. Unfortunately they couldn’t take an injured animal, they just don’t have the facilities for that. I was left with two options, return the cat to the streets, where it will probably die, or take it to a vet and have it taken care of.


I now have a little gray cat sitting at the vets office waiting for me to pick it up, and a bill for three hundred and fifty dollars. What is worse is that I have nowhere to put the little guy, who by the way is named Speckles. Yes I know, I have pretty much taken possession just by naming the thing. I may try to take the repaired kitty back to the shelter and see if they will take it now, since I have a two cat and one dog credit coming, or I can put it in Chandler’s crate until I find a place for it. What I can’t see myself doing is letting the little furball back out onto the streets, especially since I have invested all that cash in it’s health.

I hope that in thirty years, my nephews and nieces will not be called down to Florida to identify their dead uncle and help find a home for his one hundred cats. That would be very bad, and they would hate me when they found out that I left everything to the kitties.


10 comments:

  1. Boy, Garet's hair sure did get long and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your compassion for animals. Very sweet, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was impressed at your compassion Alan.

    I am schocked at Abandoned Pet Rescue's refusal to take the injured animal! When I found an injured kitten on I-95 (Simba)in 2002, APR took him in immediately and nursed him back to health. Since I was volunteering there, I eventually adopted him. He is blind in one eye.

    Ok now, let's set the record right. I have eight kitties. I have not taken in a cat since 2004 and that was one of Alan's cats, Marlena. That was 5 years ago. She past away in 2007 at age 20.

    When I met Alan back in 1983 I had 0 cats. Alan had 2. My oldest, Figaro (now 17), I adopted when I was living at Alan's back in 1993-94. I had 2 cats then.

    Then I got a house in 1995 and have to admit the pride got up to 12. Many have passed and I am not replacing them. So my interest in adopting cats has it's roots from Alan and not vise-vera.

    I am proud of Alan for doing what he did and volunteers at the shelter. The picture in this blog made me laugh as I hope to be coming back to Florida in my motorhome with my 8 kitties. Is this my destiny? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Garet. You didn't even know I took that photo of you, did you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donations now being accepted for Alans old, gray, pussy account. Not bad for a gay guy! You go AL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Alan that is so sweet of you to take care of that poor, hurt cat. If you can't keep him, I hope some other very loving person adopts him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He won't likely find a home. He is FIV positive. I can't let him hang around with my cats, and I can't let him loose in the neighborhood. My only hope is that Abandoned Pet Rescue can find room for him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan, I have contacted an e-mail animal rescue group of friends in Florida about your delemma. Hopefully someone will get in touch with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. People are out of work. The unemployment rate is sky high. Weekly you hear about people abandoning their animals. Animal shelters are strapped for funds to feed and care for the newly abandoned healthy animals.Let's take paws to consider: That $350.00 that Al spent on the abandoned cat(FIV) could have cared for many healthy abandoned cats that may have a better chance of being adapted.In this time of need, Abandoned Pet Rescue has to be strapped for funds. In this time of 12-17% unemployment, we all need to dig deeply into our pockets and put our money where our mouths are. All blog readers need to contribute to Al's charity, APR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan did the right thing taking that injured cat to the vet Even if it did cost alot. The means justified the end. To end the cycle of abandonment there needs to be strick laws on breeding for shows and profit. Also there needs to be laws on mandatory spay/neutering and licenses for all pets. The licence fees would go to helping abandoned pet organizations.

    ReplyDelete