Wednesday, June 16, 2010

More Pestilence

The bug man was here, again. Last week I wrote that I was having an invasion of palmetto bugs (Florida cockroaches), and that thankfully my exterminator had shown up with buckets of palmetto bug killer. Apparently encircling my house with that stuff didn't help because I flipped on the lights in the kitchen the other night, and found a roach party in full swing. Even I, who fancies himself to be a somewhat butch man, let out a girlie scream this time. I'll say one thing about those bugs, they are damn fast. By the time I regained my composure, all but one of them had skedaddled off behind the stove, and under the counters. So I took out all of my vengeance and aggression on that straggler. First I beat him with a towel, then I shoved him off the counter into the sink, and then with great pleasure I stuffed him down the drain and turned on the disposal. A few hours later the bug gods retaliated.

I have a water cooler in the bedroom, and every time I get up to go take a pee (which is a lot the older I get) I stop and take a slug of water. Not a lot of water, that would defeat the purpose of my going to pee. No, I just put about two ounces in the cup I keep on top of the cooler, and chug that down on my way to the bathroom. I can do this with the lights off no problem. So the other night I grabbed the cup off the cooler, gulped down some cool, refreshing water, and proceeded on into the bathroom. While standing there doing my thing, I swished the water around in my mouth once before swallowing, and felt something non liquid. In a panic I flipped on the lights and spit the water, and what turned out to be a cricket, into the sink. Once again, I screamed like a little girl.

The exterminator has been here already and this time he did a pretty thorough job inside the house. It doesn't matter, I won't be drinking things in the dark again for quite a while. Unless of course I'm in a dimly lit tavern.

7 comments:

  1. You need one of those glasses with the L.E.D. light in the bottom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep your cups upside-down from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven's solutions to problems always involve electronics. An upside down cup sounds easier, although bugs are capable of walking on the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep a salt shaker next to the cooler.......tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually selling those cups with the LED lights in them at our Relay for Life Night - I'll send you one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about a sippy cup Alan?

    ReplyDelete